Sunday, December 30, 2012

Godliness with Contentment

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  -Philippians 4:11
 
But godliness with contentment is great gain. 
-I Timothy 6:6
 
Hubby and I had a great holiday. 
We've just moved back from over the pond and are still getting settled in and
buying things for our new place. 
Shopping has taken a front seat as we buy paint and curtains,  household fixtures
and return things over and over again. 
It's getting old very quickly and Jeremy in the hardware
department at the WalMart laughs every time he sees us.  
For real!
I constantly tell him that our trips are getting farther and
farther apart which is a very good thing! 
 
Hubby and I didn't buy each other any gifts this year for Christmas.  
How can I think about gifts when we have the forementioned scenario?  
I didn't expect anything either and I wasn't minding it. 
With all of the curves life has been throwing at us over the past year
 it is much easier to appreciate the here and now and what the Lord has blessed me with. 
The last thing I needed was a case of the 'gimmes'.
 
We spent Christmas Eve with the hubs family in Cleveland.  It was our first Christmas with them and it was so nice to be able to spend the time together.  We did a group gift exchange and it was so sweet to see the kids open their gifts on Christmas Eve and spend time with family we hadn't seen in years.

Enter December 26th. 
It was a rest and relaxation day.  Yours truly wanted to get out and do some shopping.  I've really wanted some new tennies and I thought maybe I'd find a good deal.  I couldn't find any.  But I did find something that kept nagging at me, 
It was the gimmes and I could feel it all around me.  Everyone was shopping.
Everyone was returning gifts.  Looking for a deal. 
THE best deal.  And it was super contagious and spread like a fire!

Suddenly everything seemed to have so much appeal.  The Kitchen Aid Mixers. 
The red crystal candle holders that would have made a nice centerpiece on the counter between the dining room and kitchen.    The lovely couch with the beautiful tufted back that was 1,000 dollars.
 
And since I was shopping at the mall everything was expensive. 
I got in the car empty handed and decided to hit a few thrift stores on the way home. 
Even at thrift stores I try to be wise in my choices because I can quickly accumulate junk. 
I found nothing once again and went home empty handed.

The nagging urge was there where I needed something to complete my happiness for the day.  
I was impatient because I had no physical 'thing' to meet that need. 
As the day wore on the gimmes started to go away. 
 I realized that that silly red kitchen aid mixture wouldn't get used today or
tomorrow and it wouldn't bring me any happiness. 
Neither would that centerpiece. 
And that beige tufted couch would have gotten dirty sooner than later no matter
how careful I would have been. 

My husband would honestly give me any of those things I truly wanted them.
 But they still wouldn't bring any soul satisfaction. 

And then I was reminded of the scriptures where Paul told the Philipians church and Timothy to simply be content.  And Paul didn't just stop with contentment. 
Godliness with contentment is great gain.

In whatsoever state. 
With a lack or with excess.
With lovely furnishings or without.   
With the latest fashions or without. 

God's contentment far surpasses all of these trivial things.
What matters are the  matters of the heart and soul.

Every day I wake up with my wonderful husband still by my side and
I give thanks to the Lord every day.  That in itself is a miracle that I appreciate!
 
Gratitude has replaced the grumbling spirit of being unthankful.

What a wonderful life I have! 
What a wonderful Saviour I have!
I am rich in grace and have true contentment in my life. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment