Sunday, May 26, 2013

Old Fashioned Potato Salad

This potato salad is just like Grandma used to make and it's oh so good!  I make it the day before a barbecue or picnik and stick it in the fridge to chill overnight.  It makes ALOT so you might want to cut it in half for your family.

5 pound bag of red potatoes or golden 
12 hard boiled eggs
Mayonnaise to the consistency you like (I use more than a half of a large jar)
Relish or sweet pickle chopped up (about 1/4 cup)
2 Tbsp mustard (more or less to your taste)
1 1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
Sliced Olives if desired

I use red potatoes or golden potatoes for my potato salad.  They have a wonderful creamy texture.  When I use russet they are grainy and dissolve if I happen to overcook them.  Red and Golden hold their shape much better.  

Peel and pare potatoes. I like to peel my potatoes on top of a cut open plastic grocery sack or two that overlap each other to make cleaning up a cinch.  I'm all about easy clean up.
Boil and cook till done and drain water.
Boil eggs and peel. Rinse in water. (Sometimes I do this the night before)
Toss potatoes and eggs in a large bowl.
If you are short of mayo or just want it more creamy you can add sour cream or miracle whip.  I prefer mayo alone but I'm a purist!  ;)  I add enough till it's creamy.  I don't like a dry potato salad.
Fold mayo, relish, mustard, and salt into large serving bowl and sprinkle with paprika, cayenne or chile powder.  (noone will ever know it's not paprika~  trust me!)
Chill well before serving.


A Favorite Thing at Mockingbird Hill Lane Cottage

Women Living Well Monthly Link Up  

2 comments:

  1. This is quite similar to my grandmother's recipe, too! She left out the olives and pickle, but added celery for the crunch. And always used paprika! :-D Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny since I'm not a pickle fan but have to have a little bit of tang in my potato salad. I'm sure it tastes wonderful!

      Delete