Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Salad in a Jar

Have you seen the Salad in a Jar frenzy on Pinterest?    Many times I buy salad makings and then never assemble them due to time laziness and then the ingredients go bad.  I bought a head of romaine, a cucumber, some baby tomatoes and green peppers for an easy Salad in a Jar.  I plan on adding some crunchy nuts and cheese when the hubs and I eat dinner together later on.   I'd really like to experiment with this and add some chicken, garbanzo beans, boiled eggs and sprouts as well.   And I can see Asian, Cob and Caesar salads with this easily!  Picnics... Office gatherings... traveling... in the car...lunch on the go... picnics....  So many options!

I thrifted the Mason Jars for 1.50 yesterday and so glad I was able to get them!

***Update***
I've bought a whole box of Mason Jars and have prepped as many as 6 for the week~  one for each day for hubby and I.  On day 5 the salad was still crisp.  I did splurge and buy a cheapo salad spinner so I think that helped too.  The pop on the top of the mason jar was pretty loud when I uncapped it.   I've had NO salad waste and we've ate healthier every day this week since doing this!  Yay!!!
Please forgive my remodeling in the sidebar lately!  I've also had alot of drafts in queue that needed major re~editing and I hit publish on accident.  I HATE when that happens!  I've also been trying to add a hover Pinterest button to my photographs but am having difficulty so thank you for your patience!
Have a wonderful day!
Follow Me on Pinterest

Linking up at many of these GREAT blog hops!  
Mondays~
  mop it up mondays
More the Merrier Monday
Keeping It Simple
Tuesdays~
Linda @ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
 
Cherry World 1
 Wednesday 
Wow us Wednesdays
Friday
 
http://christianmommyblogger.com
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Making your home sing Mondays

Adorned From Above

21 comments:

  1. I have seen this~and even pinned a few ideas myself:) But I haven't tried it yet. I am also guilty of letting fresh produce go bad because I forget about it. This just might be the solution to that!

    Thanks for dropping by My Blessed Life today!

    ~Lora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for returning the love Lora! I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this neat salad at my party...looks like to need to try it.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I had NOT seen this before, but it looks gorgeous the way you presented it! WOW! And yummy too!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I soooo want to do this! My hubby and I are both trying to lose weight, and it would be fantastic to be able to throw together a bunch of salads for the week and then grab & go. Thanks for posting this :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like something that I need to do, because I'm guilty of having the good intentions of making/eating salads, but always have the ingredients rotting away in the fridge! Maybe if the salad looks pretty like this, I'll be more likely to eat one!
    Happy REDnesday,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a fabulous idea! I have a hard time using up the ingredients too before having to toss them! I'm going to peruse Pinterest -- and dig out my jars!
    Here from Rednesday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystelle Boutique,

    Thanks so much for stopping by! It's all the rave on Pinterest right now and I suppose I had to jump on the bandwagon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you liked it Shandy! I hope it works for you and I'd love to hear about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and me both Carol! I am hoping that this will help me not waste money and produce!!!

    So glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you liked it Sarah!

    Anything to help me save and use everything up is a winner in my book. I'll be scouting the second hand stores for more jars too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make salad-in-a-jar for my husband's lunches several times a week. The idea also works well if you need to take a salad to a coverdish. Just use a large jar and layer your salad items. When you arrive at your destination pour the salad into your salad bowl and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i haven't seen this idea! have you sampled your creation yet and how did it taste? i'm curious if the veggies stayed crunchy and everything.

    what kind of camera do you use? i'm loving all your fun pics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bugs!

    I really need a first name for you! ;)

    I have a Nikon D5100. The lens that I used for this post was the Macro 105mm which makes for lovely bokeh in the background. It's one of my faves and is a prime lens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DL,

    Love the idea of a covered dish supper! We had no waste and had salad 4 times in two days!!!

    Not bad!!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited that you're linking up! :)

    This is just the prettiest thing. Wouldn't that be fun to bring to a party and put on the table? Man, I wouldn't be able to grab that jar fast enough, lol!

    I am going to show your picture to my youngest and see what he thinks. He loves salad (well, we all do but he really does!)

    Thank you for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious. What a great idea. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/03/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop.html
    We are also having a giveaway this week for a $50.00 Target Gift Card, so head over to enter.
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's my pleasure to link up mtw and thanks so much for the link. I hope to join you next week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll stop by Debi!

    Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving the encouraging comment! It is greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hadn't seen those before. Too cute! I have a Tuesday Greens linky and would love for you to stop by. I'm over at www.craftygardenmama.com. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much Becky! I'll definitely try and stop by!

    ReplyDelete