Monday, March 4, 2013

Homemade Stain Remover~ It really works!!!

I can't believe I haven't shared this yet!  I've always hated buying Commercial Stain Removers.  They are expensive and most of the time the stains were too set in and I'd end up tossing the garments that were soiled.  
While thrifting, I was constantly seeing the same fuschia skirt that had a huge grease stain on the front.  (It looked like someone dropped a half pound of bacon on their lap!)   I tried the skirt on to check the fit but put it back on the rack due to that old stain!   That silly thing kept catching my eye every time I visited and I finally gave in and bought it in hopes of getting the stain out.  

I tried a commercial stain remover and it didn't work.  I almost threw it out but kept it just in case.  It was then that I made the homemade Stain Remover and it took the entire stain out!   I mix it up in a spray bottle and pretreat the stain and let it sit overnight.   If it's a stubborn grease stain I scrub it with a scrub brush that I keep specifically for that purpose.   It smells bubbly and fresh.  The total cost for the bottle of Dawn was .98 cents and the bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide cost .86 cents.  

Here's the recipe~  It's Easy Peasy!  

1 Part Dawn Dishwashing Soap to 2 Parts Hydrogen Peroxide.  Yup~  that's it!  
Combine in a spray bottle and work stain remover in with a nylon brush on heavy stains.

Farmgirl over at Patches of Blue Sky sent me a message as follows~ 
"I wanted to let you know about the olive oil stain status on my son's shirt.I made up the stain remover, sprayed it on that stain and I am proud to announce that------the stain is.....GONE!
Ya----Hooooo!"

If you give this a try I'd love to hear how it work for you~!  
Follow Me on Pinterest
More the Merrier Mondaymop it up mondays
 
Keeping It Simple Cherry World 1

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
http://christianmommyblogger.com

A Favorite Thing at Mockingbird Hill Lane Cottage
Manic Mother
Aloha Friday Blog Hop
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre
Making your home sing Mondays

28 comments:

  1. Does the hydrogen peroxide take the color out of the clothes? That would be my big worry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I use it, I use it LIBERALLY and have never had a problem at all Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You only recommends preparing the mixture in the quantity necessary for use, or can be done in a slightly larger quantity to be at hand when needed? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo! I'm excited! Thanks Lil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that many folks only mix up what they need and that others do an entire bottle. I did a whole bottle and it worked well from start to finish Zilda!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gotta be kidding me, that is awesome!!!

    I've been known to Oxyclean for days with not great results. Soak, spray, repeat...I will try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use just straight Dawn on grease stains and it works great. I also recently read about covering grease stains with chalk. I tried the chalk treatment and it worked! Love finding inexpensive options.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try this and see if it can get tea out of my favorite cream colored sweater. Plus, I like the idea of saving money and being a little more earth friendly. Do you know if this would work with an 'earth friendly' dish soap?
    Thanks
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know Anna! I wish I had known this much earlier! Please let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wondering what effectiveness the Peroxide has Theresa~ not sure honestly! I've never tried the chalk but I've heard of it before!

    Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. KC,

    If you try it and it works I'd love to hear about it!

    I'm not sure about it working with an earth friendly dish soap but I don't see why not!

    Thank you so much for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this sounds great. My son spilled olive oil all over his pants and work shirt. I've been washing and working to get this stain out to no avail :( Will let you know if there is success! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please DO let me know if this works! I'm really curious to know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have before and after pictures of the skirt? I would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry Sheila but I don't! I really didn't think it would work but am so glad it did! It was much darker than the original color of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this awesome tip! I wonder if it would work on colors that bled to lighter colors...I have a striped navy blue and white blazer and the navy bled to the white during the wash cycle. I'm gonna try it..I have nothing to lose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it in that manner Selene but I'd love to hear about it when you do!

      Delete
  17. I make most of my own cleaners and I didn't know about this one! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I plan to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great ~ I hate buying the commercial stain removers also so I will definitely try this. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonder if it would work on sweat stains. My 14-year old has to wear a white shirt to school and I have to buy a new one nearly every month because of the yellow stains in the armpits that start to turn brown after a while. Not attractive at all. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAMMY-stain could also be the deodrant. Try one that says -antiprespiant-, worked for my husband. Peroxide also works on blood stain. My ENT Dr's nurse used it when blood dripped on my white blouse. Husband & brother used Dawn to wash cars also.

      Delete
    2. I think Anonymous is right~ that underarm stains come from the deodorant rather than the perspiration. I'll try it in the summer and write an update!

      Delete
  20. Thanks so much for this great tip. I am a new follower from Favorite Thing Saturday.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura for the kind comment and being a new follower!

      Delete
  21. Hello, there! May I ask if I can use some other brand of dishwashing soap or I should specifically use Dawn Dishwashing soap? However, this stain remover recipe worked for a lot of people. Perhaps, it'll work for me as well! I have high hopes for this stain remover! Wish me luck! [Pete Henderson]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd reccomend Dawn honestly because it's the best dishsoap for cutting grease! I hope it works for you too!

      Delete